Thursday 6 July 2017

Igbo Kwenu! Get in here for your Ofe Oha!







I've always thought soups from other tribes were complicated and confusing... I never even tried to leave my comfort zone of Yoruba soups as per a comfam Yoruba babe. I have even argued in the past with my friends from the east on the topic of how good these soups taste. Well, I see clearly now.


I have tried to Google which tribe has the best soup but it seems that this topic has been an age-long controversial one (like that of the Jollof). I however think the Igbos and the Akwa Ibom/Calabar people are leading in this argument.
 
This post is about my Igbo people’s Ofe Oha or better still, Oha Soup
 
Ofe oha is an Igbo cuisine made with Oha leaves and coco-yam as thickener. The cocoyam can be substituted with ofor/achi 


Ofe Oha is similar to the bitter leaf soup, the difference is that we use different vegetables (bitter leaf/ Oha leaf) and the taste. I have made bitter leaf soup before, so it was a walk over.


The ingredients are:


 
Oha (Ora) Leaves


                                                                        
Uziza leaves (about half a hand full)




                                                  
Cocoyam (boiled, pounded/mashed) *I used a food processor
                                                                              


 Ogiri 
                                                                         


Tatase
                                                                               

   Rodo
                                                                            
Palm oil
                                                                           
Goatmeat 
                                                                          
Assorted meat
                                                    
                                                                      
 Beef
                                                                                                                 
Pomo


                                                                           
Smoked fish
                                                                     
  Red crayfish 
                                                                     
Grounded crayfish


                                                               
Seasoning cube
                                                                                                                                     
   Salt
                                                                            
Ginger/garlic


                                                                       




I prepped for about 30-40mins


 While that was going on I cooked the already seasoned Goat meat, beef and assorted meat. Then I added pomo, smoked fish and red crayfish.


When the stock was reduced to about half its initial size, I added the already smoothly blended pepper and allowed to boil for few minutes and then I added palm oil (this time the content would be kinda orange in color) 




After the palm oil must have been cooked enough, I added the ogiri and covered for it to dissolve well (the aroma was muah!). Then I added my cocoyam paste to thicken the soup.



 


After it simmered for a little bit, I added the Oha leaves, a half handful of Uziza leaves and allowed to cook for 3-5 mins. My Ofe Oha was ready for consumption.





 P.S: It is believed that chopping the Oha leaves with a Knife will kill the leaves because they are delicate. Therefore, Shred the leaves with your hands.


 
My Igbo brothers and sisters, are there better ways of cooking Ofe Oha? Please let us know in the comment section.




No comments:

Post a Comment