Wednesday 5 July 2017

My Superior Ẹ̀fọ́ Riro

I am happy for the lovely feedbacks, comments and encouragements I got from my last post. I feel encouraged. Now that I know that my husband and I are not the only ones reading this, I will like to declare this blog,  "our blog". This way,  it will be our collective duty to keep it enjoyable. That is to say,  our suggestions and innovations are welcome.

I will like to tell the story of the first soup I made as Oyinades Kitchen. Like I mentioned in my first post, my first customer ordered 3 soups namely, Efo Riro, Afang Soup and Okro Soup. I will like to share my Efo Riro story.


Ẹ̀fọ́ riro is a Yorùbá cuisine prepared with vegetables and stockfish, palm oil, crayfish, pepper, locust bean and may also include meat and other ingredients (Wikipedia) 

Even though,  it wasn't my first time of cooking efo riro, I was nervous because this time, the outcome of the eforiro could determine the future of my baby business.  I had to bring out my notebook from culinary school and even supported with google.

My Eforiro ingredients are listed below

Ugu leaves (you can use soko too)
Red crayfish
Grounded crayfish
Palm oil 
Iru 
Tatase/atatorodo/onions
Stock fish
Smoked fish
Seasoning cubes/salt
Ginger and Garlic

After the stressful market runs,  I hit the Oyinades kitchen to make the efo happen. ..


Tip: It's always better to prep all your ingredients before you start cooking. 

-I cut my pomo into small pieces and then soaked inside salt water. 

-Fish washed thoroughly and soaked in warm salt water

-Rinsed the already processed Ugu thoroughly to get rid of sand particles.

Meanwhile, while I was prepping,  I was boiling my already seasoned goat meat.  I also boiled the stock fish to soften the fish. 

I set aside my chopped onions, minced ginger and garlic and washed iru (locust beans) (I used woro because it's best for Eforiro)

I sautéd the chopped onions, minced garlic and ginger in sizzling palm oil. I then added my iru to release it's aroma (the aroma was out of this world).

I added my roughly ground fresh pepper, added the stock from the meat (be careful when adding so you won't  be adding too much seasoning) and let the content thicken for about 10-15 mins.

I added my Goatmeat, Pomo, stock fish, smoked fish, red crayfish and the ground crayfish ( at this point I didn't need any more seasoning cubes and salt) so I covered and let it all cook.

The last ingredient I added was the vegetable then I checked for salt (I added just a pinch) cooked for about 4-5mins because I still need it's crunchiness and waahhhhlahhhhhhhh it was ready for consumption 😳😳😳😬😬😬 


While I was cooking, my brand manager husband  had gone to the business center to print a makeshift label for the plastic which we attached with celotape. lol. 

So this was what my Eforiro and packaging looked like.... 

This was how the packaging looked like.
The Final Product.

And this was the feedback from the customer......... 


Yeah, he became a constant customer



What do you think?? How do you cook your eforiro?

2 comments:

  1. hiiii, great work. My mouth was sumptuously imagining the efo riro as i read through the post and I can't wait to prepare mine; mind you, efo-riro's my best naija traditional soup so i was on the look out for new tricks. I had a great read and I'm dashing off to prepare my version of this delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you very much for taking out time to read through.. I hope you enjoy(ed) your version of Eforiro? 😬

      Delete